To add posts, edit your blog site and your customize your blog, you will need to sign into WordPress. When you sign into WordPress you will land on your dashboard. The Dashboard is like a “homepage” where you can change and edit things about your blog.
Goals for today:
- Connect your blog to your other social media, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook,…
- Read about blog lingo.
- Create an About Me page (if desired).
- Set up your Gravatar!
- Learn all about about categories and tags.
- Create and add 2-6 categories to your blog.
- Add a category to your first post.
- Download the WordPress app on your smartphone.
- Write a new post from your smartphone using the WordPress app.
- Fill out the website form!
1. Connecting Your Blog
To connect your blog to your other social media, click on the sharing button on the left side of the page. Click on the plus sign, “Connect New Service”, then follow the instructions.
2. Blog Lingo
Before you work on your “About Me” page, please read this to familiarize yourself with blog lingo.
3. About Me Page
Having an “About” page is optional. Many blogs have this page to introduce themselves to their readers. Please do not publish your last name or where you live on your “About” page.
Ideas of things you can include on your “About” page:
- What your blog will be about
- What your interests are
- Why you want to start blogging
- What you hope to accomplish blogging
Then, you can edit (or delete) your “About” page.
Set up your personal profile, including your Gravatar. You do not have to use your name. You can just use your first name and the first letter of your last name. Also, a Gravatar does not have to be a picture of you. It can be any picture or icon.
5-7. Categories and Tags
You should always add categories and tags to every blog posts. This way they can be easily searched and found by your readers.
Categories – General (create 2 – 6 categories for your blog).
Tags (optional) – More specific, add these as you write blog posts.
Once you have created some categories for your blog, go back and assign a category to your first blog post.
8-9. Going Mobile
Installing the WordPress App on your phone is a great way to stay connected to your blog and blog on the go! Follow this link to add your blog to your phone. Then, write a blog post from your phone.